Yuvan Speaks - Interview with Sify Team



Yuvan Shankar Raja has evolved as the hottest music director in Kollywood. Tamil film music has change drastically as a new breed of music directors and singers have taken over. Yuvan made it big only in the last two years and made rapid strides with films like Kathal Kondein, 7-G Rainbow Colony, Manmathan , Arindhum Ariyamalum among others. His recent songs from Kalvanin Kathali, Pattiyal and Puthupettai are all chartbusters. And Yuvan was recently adjudged as the best music director at the Cyprus International Film Festival for his musical score in Raam. In conversation with Yuvan

Congrats on bagging the best music director award at Cyprus? 

I felt elated and happy as it is an International award. It is a gift from God as Raam album has my mother's favourite song "Aarariraro…" sung by Jesudas uncle and my personal favourite "Boom Boom…" the hip-hop number.

How did you emerge as the youth icon of Tamil film music? 

When I started out nearly 10 years back, the music scene was very different. I wanted to do something different from the run-of-the-mill variety. So I evolved a style of my own and preferred to cater to only the youth. My growth had been gradual and not overnight which also helped me to stabilize and believe in my kind of music.

Whom do you attribute your success to?

I owe it all to my directors with whom I share a great rapport. They are all below 30, are more like friends and we also think alike. Our wave length is same and I definitely love working with only people in my age group who vibe well with me. They understand the importance of music in today's commercial cinema and song placement.

Yuvan- Selvaraghavan combination is the best. Please comment?

(Smiles) It's not like that. We are good friends though I have made good music for Vishnuvardhan, Silamabarasan and others.

Your critics point out that you brought in the new trend of having remixes in albums?

I know a lot of people including my brother Karthik Raja are against the remix trend. However I think they are popular as there is a blend of modern and nostalgia and this appeal to a wider section of listeners. Today technology helps you a great deal which has its own advantage like producing a number really fast. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment